- Samsonite International S.A. is the world's largest travel luggage company, with a heritage dating back more than 100 years.
- We were founded by Jesse Shwayder in 1910 in Denver, Colorado, and began business as a trunk manufacturing company. Over the last century, we have developed and widely commercialized numerous innovations in luggage, establishing key industry trends and adapting to evolving consumer needs.
- We are principally engaged in the design, manufacture, sourcing and distribution of luggage, business and computer bags, outdoor and casual bags, and travel accessories throughout the world, primarily under the Samsonite®, American Tourister®, High Sierra®, Hartmann®, Lipault® and Speck® brand names and other owned and licensed brand names. As of December 31, 2013, our products were sold at more than 46,000 points of sale in over 100 countries through a variety of wholesale and retail distribution channels.
- Our core brand, Samsonite, is one of the most well-known travel luggage brands in the world and has been central to the growth and success of our business since it was first introduced in 1941.
- In 1993, we acquired American Tourister, Inc., based in Providence, Rhode Island. This enabled us to market products under two of the most well-known and respected brands in the luggage market.
- In 2012, we acquired the High Sierra and Hartmann brands, both based in the U.S. Founded in 1978, High Sierra's products are targeted at active lifestyle consumers and the acquisition enabled us to expand into the casual outdoor and sport segments of the global luggage market. The Hartmann brand, founded by Joseph S. Hartmann in 1877, is recognized as a mark of quality among American luxury consumers and the acquisition enables Samsonite to expand its presence in the high end luggage and leather goods market in the U.S. and internationally.
- In 2014, we further expanded our brand portfolio with the Lipault and Speck acquisitions. Founded in 2004, Lipault is a chic and youthful French luggage brand known for its functional and fashionable products. It allows us to engage with female consumers through Lipault's signature Parisian style and vibrant colors. Speck, founded in Silicon Valley, California in 2001, designs and distributes slim protective cases for personal electronic devices. This acquisition enabled Samsonite to enter the fast growing market for smart phone and tablet protective cases.
- Our market-leading position results from our strong international brand presence, our significant scale, our robust investment on advertising and product innovation, our scalable distribution and sourcing ability, and our market-leading, high quality products.